There is convincing evidence that exercise and staying active can significantly enhance the quality of life of those affected by cancer at all stages of the cancer trajectory and may reduce / prevent some cancer treatment toxicities. This course has been designed to enable you to acquire and critically review the evidence and current practice whilst developing the skills to evaluate, risk assess, and provide safe effective and individualised exercise programmes specifically for the cancer population.
This course will enable you to apply specialist knowledge to assess and deliver evidence-based exercise interventions within a your practice. In addition, service provision, links with community programmes, evaluation of exercise interventions as well as behaviour change will be examined.
This course is currently delivered a live synchronous online teaching. The teaching is over two days, from 9.00AM – 5.00PM. You will be taught by several tutors over this time, all of whom are considered experts in their field.
The course structure allows group work, formative assessments, and whole class feedback.
In the days in between teaching you will have a little bit of work to do, which would take approximately 1 hour.
- Registered Physiotherapists/ Physical Therapists
Live Teaching Days: 2 Days with a variety of tutors each day
Time: 9.00AM – 5.00PM
Virtual Meeting Platform: Zoom
Assessment Date: Online timed MCQ. Scheduled from approximately 2 weeks after last teaching date.
To fully interact in this course delivered live online, you should have access to stable internet connection and be reasonably competent with working with online documents and have ZOOM installed. You are expected to attend every session and interact with the group.
CanRehab prides itself on supporting our students learning experience. Each student is providing with hard copies of a Cancer and Exercise Reference Manual written by Professor Campbell, a Learners Handout and access to the bespoke CanRehab Learners’ Portal. Through this portal, every student has access to has all lecture slides, videos, and educational content for 1 year from the start of the course.
Furthermore, on successful completion CanRehab Physiotherapists are invited to a private Facebook group for all qualified CanRehab Physiotherapists which can serve as a professional forum for discussion and support
Knowledge and Understanding
- Exercise physiology and principles of exercise prescription.
- The physiology and pathology of cancer
- Cancer treatments and management pathways – surgery, radiotherapy, hormone therapy, chemotherapy and targeted biological therapies.
- Symptom management of the side effects of these cancer treatments and how these can influence the safety and ability to exercise
- The published evidence that exercise can reduce side effects of cancer treatments, improve morbidity and outcomes after cancer treatments and reduce the risk of recurrence and improve disease free survival.
- Motivational processes, models and techniques involved in behavioural change for the referred patient/client who have suffered the physical and psychological trauma of cancer and its management.
- How to establish a safe and stimulating activity environment sensitive to the physical and psychological, confidentially needs of patients/clients with cancer including the appropriateness of group or individual therapies.
- How to assess, interpret and record a client’s baseline parameters within the categories of cardio-respiratory endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, range of motion, balance, body composition based on their physical and psychological parameters related to their cancer but also considering other associated medical conditions such as diabetes, anxiety, depression, hypertension, arthritis, osteoporosis, cardiac disease which may be comorbidities and / or associated with cancer treatments.
- Individual risk stratification using recognised guidelines
- How to design an individualised exercise programme based on the initial assessment.
- How to determine which baseline parameters can be monitored during the forthcoming exercise program in order to assess ongoing effectiveness and if necessary, modify the programme and offer alternative exercises.
- How to prepare and undertake appropriate ongoing screening in order to detect a change in their condition; what to look out for during exercise.
- Critically reflect upon and examine the different modes of exercise prescription for people affected by cancer
- Independent and creative thought in application of different models of exercise and support in cancer services and your workplace
- Exemplify advanced knowledge in the use of quality improvement programmes to evaluate and enhance cancer rehabilitation service delivery.
- Critically analyse the way in which the evolving ethos of prehabilitation and rehabilitation in cancer care is influencing cancer care services
Professional / Practical Skills.
- Synthesise and develop individualised safe and effective exercise sessions and programmes to enhance the quality of life of people affected by cancer.
- Critically evaluate the different roles and responsibilities within an interdisciplinary team in the management of cancer patients regarding delivery of exercise advice.
- Recognise limitations and barriers to compliance to exercise in individuals with a cancer diagnosis.
- Understand contra-indications, risk evaluation processes and functional assessments in order to develop individualised exercise programmes based on clinical judgement and advanced reasoning
An online assessment day is scheduled from approximately 1 week after the final teaching block.
This consists of:
- 60 Multiple Choice Question Exam under timed conditions.
The total current cost for this course is £350+VAT (£420).
Please note, if registering from overseas, there is a supplement of £25 if you wish to receive the CanRehab Reference Manual (to be used primarily after course completion).
You will be issued with an invoice once registration has been confirmed.
Payment may be in instalments as long as it is paid in full prior to the start of the course.
Please select the course you wish to apply for below and complete the online application form. Please give as much information as possible. We will contact you if we need further information. If eligible to attend we aim to confirm your registration with be confirmed within 5 working days, and further details and invoice will follow.